Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Herbed 'ricotta'

this can be used on anything, as a sandwhich spread, pizza cheese or creamy sauce, baked with pasta, in lasagna, stuffed in shells etc. origional recipe is made with no soaked cashews so that would work too (and be lower calorie), but I think the flavor is better with nuts.


Yeilds 2 cups, prep time 5 mins.


Ingredients:
- 1 box mori-nu silken tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked over night...its fine if you don't do this but the texture is smoother if you do)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp basil (I used all dried herbs but I suppose it would be better with fresh?)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
(other spices could be good too...like thyme or parsley)

Instructions:
- blend all ingredients to a fine paste

*NOTE: when I make this I usually blend in some steamed veggies (like broccoli or zuccini to enhance the nutritional value - it does change the flavor but not by much)

No comments: