Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Samosa Latkas

with spicy cilantro chutney 

yummm...so this recipe was born of the fact that whole foods didnt have any samosa wrappers so I decided to make the samosa filling anyway and just pan fry it like a latka! Turns out to be healthier as well becuase the samosa aren't fried (I'm using my fantasic new oil spritzer which mists instead of drenches my food in olive oil! As a side note I seriously use this for everything and although some brands of misters are sub par I have found an awesome one...Ill post the brand later). Plus the cilantro chutney is to die for...the more chilies the better!

Samosas serve 1 hungry person (skimpy recipe...double it at least!!) Cilantro chutney serves 2 as a condiment 
Prep/cook time: ~20 mins if using leftover potatoes longer if making your own

Ingredients: **I have to admit I eyeballed the main ingredients (potatoes, onion & peas) to get the proportions I like so this is an approximation.
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2/3 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes (made mine from scratch...didnt take that long just microwaved the potatoes and mashed them with a fork so there were chunk left - I like the lump consistency but by all means puree away!)
- 2 tsp mustar (seeds or ground works)
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional) 
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric

Instructions:
- saute onion in a little olive oil for 2ish mins
- add peas and spices and cook 2ish more mins
- stir in potato and cook until heated through and remove mixture from stove (I had to stir in the potato in a separate bowl bc it was easier but whatevs works for you is fine)
- heat a little oil in a separate pan (or the same one after the mixture is put in anther bowl)
- form samosa mix into pancake shaped patties and pan fry until crisp on outside (you dont need that much oil, I just spritzed each side of the latka)

Cilantro Chutney
This would be divine on anything...unless you think cilantro tastes like 'hellweed' *cough* murat *cough*

Ingredients:
- 1 large bunch cilantro
- 3-4 chopped serano chilies (or less if you dont like spicy)
- 3 tbsps fresh squeezed lemon juice
- dash ground ginger (or fresh if you like that...yuck)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin (seeds would work too)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oil

Instructions:
- blend all ingredients except cilantro to a paste
- slowly add cilantro and blend to a paste and enjoy!

*NOTE: you can make extra and freeze it in ice cube trays if you want!

1 comment:

practiCal fMRI said...

I love samosas but I think the unwrapped, pan-fried variant is actually tastier! It's great on its own (with the chutney) but it would make a good side dish, too.